Note: To add a WMS base layer, you must be logged-in to a Pro account. To learn how to upgrade, visit this link: How to upgrade to a Pro account
WMS stands for Web Map Service, a specification for web maps displaying dynamic images. The images update when the map is loaded.
Adding a WMS URL enables you to import the georeferenced images to produce a base layer on a map.
Choose the base map: Google > Terrain.
Note: For your map, you can choose any base map. For this example, we're choosing this light colored base map to contrast with the dark colors of the example WMS base layer we'll add in later steps.
- If you aren't logged-in to Scribble Maps already, login to your account at:
https://www.scribblemaps.com/create(Optional) To learn how to login, visit this link:
How to login / register
- In the bottom-right corner of the Map View, you will see the base map selector displays thumbnail image(s).
- (Optional) If the flyout doesn't display Google's thumbnail images, there are two options for this step.
If "Google" isn't selected, click the currently selected name of the map provider or category. In the flyout list, click to select: "Google".OROption 2
If "Google" is selected, click thumbnail image.
- In the flyout, click to select: "TERRAIN".
Import the WMS images
- (Optional) If the "LAYERS" Panel isn't open on the right-side of the browser window, click the vertical bar.
- At the bottom of the Layers Panel, open the Base Layers window by clicking the double-arrowheads.
- Click the (+) button.
- In the flyout, click: "Add WMS".
You will see the editor window titled: "ADD/EDIT WMS"
- Copy the URL.
The example URL below displays data from theUS government > National Weather Service > Base Reflectivity Radar (time_enabled).The URL is in these quotation marks:"https://idpgis.ncep.noaa.gov/arcgis/services/radar/radar_base_reflectivity_time/ImageServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS"Copy by highlighting the URL. Then use your keyboard to press:
- Ctrl + C (for Windows).
- Command + C (for Macs).
- Paste the URL in the "ADD/EDIT WMS" window.
Paste by clicking the field under the heading: "WMS URL". Then use your keyboard to press:
- Ctrl + V (for Windows).
- Command + V (for Macs).
- Click to select the WMS file from the list.
- (Optional) Under the "Opacity" heading, type-in the non-transparency percentage of the WMS images.
The opacity value:
- 0% is invisible.
- 50% is see-through.
- 100% is the solid color.
- Click the button: "ADD WMS LAYER".
- Click "Ok".
In the Map View, you will see the added WMS base layer.
- (Optional) You can toggle the visibility of the WMS base layer.
In the Base Layers window, click the Eye Icon located on the left-side of the base layer's row.
You can search for more US weather URLs at this link: www.weather.gov/gis/WebServices