Note: To add a WMS base layer, you must be logged-in to a Pro account. To learn how to upgrade, visit this link: How to upgrade to a Pro account
WMS stands for Web Map Service, a specification for web maps displaying dynamic images. The images update when the map is loaded.
Adding a WMS URL enables you to import the georeferenced images to produce a base layer on a map.
Choose the base map
Note: For your map, you can choose any base map. For this example, we're choosing this light coloured base map to contrast with the dark colours of the example WMS base layer we'll add in later steps.
- If you aren't logged in to Scribble Maps already, log in to your account at:
https://www.scribblemaps.com/create(Optional) To learn how to log in, visit this link:
How to login/register
- In the bottom-right corner of the Map View, click on the Map & Data thumbnail image.
You will see the Map & Data window pop up.
- Click to select your preferred map.
Import the WMS images
- (Optional) If the "LAYERS" Panel isn't open on the right side of the browser window, click the vertical bar.
- At the bottom of the Layers Panel, open the Base Layers window by clicking the double-arrowheads.
- Click the (+) button.
- In the flyout, click: "Add WMS".
You will see the editor window titled: "ADD/EDIT WMS"
- Copy the URL.
The example URL below displays data from theUS government > National Weather Service > Base Reflectivity Radar (time_enabled).The URL is in these quotation marks:"https://idpgis.ncep.noaa.gov/arcgis/services/radar/radar_base_reflectivity_time/ImageServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS"Copy by highlighting the URL. Then use your keyboard to press:
- Ctrl + C (for Windows).
- Command + C (for Macs).
- Paste the URL in the "ADD/EDIT WMS" window.
Paste by clicking the field under the heading: "WMS URL". Then use your keyboard to press:
- Ctrl + V (for Windows).
- Command + V (for Macs).
- Click to select the WMS file from the list.
- (Optional) Under the "Opacity" heading, type in the non-transparency percentage of the WMS images.
The opacity value:
- 0% is invisible.
- 50% is see-through.
- 100% is the solid colour.
- Click the button: "ADD WMS LAYER".
- Click "Ok".
In the Map View, you will see the added WMS base layer.
- (Optional) You can toggle the visibility of the WMS base layer.
In the Base Layers window, click the Eye Icon located on the left side of the base layer's row.
You can search for more US weather URLs at this link: www.weather.gov/gis/WebServices
Reorder the stack of base layers
Add a heatmap base layer at marker locations
Add a mask as a base layer - Display sections of a second map
Add a TMS URL to produce a base layer
Article is closed for comments.