Note: To use the Add Group feature, you must be logged-in to a Pro account. To learn how to upgrade, visit this link: How to upgrade to a Pro account
The optimized route feature solves a version of the traveling salesperson problem (TSP). The optimized route answers the question: What is the shortest possible route to visit a set of waypoint locations when you input:
- Start/end locations.
- Up to 250 waypoints.
Create the start/end markers
- In Map View, create markers for the start and end locations.
To learn how to create markers, see: Create a marker - (Marker Tool).
Create the overlays for the waypoints
- In Map View, create the markers for the waypoint locations.
You can also create waypoint locations from different types of overlays. For example; a straight line, a polygon, and a label.
Note: In the Map View, each marker has a single location defined by a single pair of latitude/longitude coordinates. Non-marker overlays have multiple locations. When the optimized route line is created, only a single location will be selected for each non-marker overlay.
To learn how to create the overlays, visit these links:
Add the waypoint overlays to a folder
- In the Layers Panel, click on the Folder Icon displaying the tooltip: "Add Group".
You will see the folder added to the Layers Panel.
Click and drag these overlay rows into the folder:
- Start marker.
- End marker.
- Waypoint markers.
The folder now holds a set of overlays, so the folder is considered a Group. To learn more about grouping overlays, see: Grouping markers/elements by using folders.
Select the start/end markers and the waypoints’ folder
- At the top of the Layers Panel, click on the Gear Icon displaying the tooltip: "Operations & Analysis".
- Under the "Create" heading > "Route" subheading, click on the link: "Optimized Route".
- Under the heading, "Start", click on the button: "select".
- Click to select the marker you previously created for the start location.
- Under the heading, "End", click on the button: "select".
- Click to select the marker you previously created for the end location.
- Under the heading, "Waypoints", click on the button: "select".
- Click to select the folder you previously created that includes the waypoint overlays.
Select the Mode and Style of the route line
- Under the "Mode" heading, select the mode:
- Travel Time
- Flight Distance
- None (Marker Order)
- Under the "Style" heading, select the color:
- (Optional) Add "Times on Map" by selecting the check box.
Create the route line
- Click on the button: "Create Optimized Route".
- In the pop-up that appears, click "Ok".
- In the top-right corner of the Operations and Analysis window, click on the "X" button.
View, edit, and name the route line
In the Layers Panel, you will see the new folder’s title starts with; "Route". You can click on the Pencil Icon to change the title of the folder.
You can also click the folder to see the list of overlays. The route’s line row will be at the bottom of the list.
In Map View, you may have to zoom in or out to see the route’s line. To find the line quickly, click on the centering button on the route line’s row in the Layers Panel. The button is the outlined square with a dot at the center.
In Map View, you will see the route line reaches all of the waypoint overlays. Numbered markers will display the sequence of the route. Arrowheads will display the direction of the route line.
If you select the Edit/Measure Tool in the top toolbar, you can measure, edit, and move the route line.