Before starting the current article, we recommend you complete the procedures in these 2 articles:
- Import List/Spreadsheet (.CSV) data to produce markers on a map - (MS Excel/Google Sheets/etc.)
- Create a filter to segment which overlays are displayed
Format the date/time data
- In your spreadsheet software, open the file displaying the data.
- On the date/time column, edit the heading to one of these words:
In later steps:
The heading word will be the column's definable heading on the "IMPORT LIST" window in Scribble Maps.
The definable heading will be the attribute-name for the date/time attributes.
You will select the same word when you're creating a condition in a filter.
By selecting the word
, you will enable the condition line's drop-down
to display the date/time options
For example, "Date":
- IS ON
- IS BEFORE
- IS AFTER
- In your spreadsheet, click and drag to select all of the date/time values in the column. Then set the values to one of these formats:
- Tuesday, February 19, 2030
- February 19, 2030
- 2030-2-19 13:23
- 2-19-2030 13:23
- 2030/2/19 13:23
- 2/19/2030 13:23
To learn how to set the formats in 2 popular spreadsheet programs, visit these links:
Import the spreadsheet data, and view the markers
- Login to your Scribble Maps account at:
- Copy and paste the spreadsheet data into the "IMPORT LIST" window in Scribble Maps.
- On the lower heading of the date/time column, select "Attribute" in the drop-down list.
So "Attribute" will be the preset heading.
- In the lower headings on the other columns, select the preset heading that's appropriate for each column.
- At the bottom of the "IMPORT LIST" window, click the button: "MAP LIST".
You will see the pop-up: " points added to map".
- Click: "Ok".
- In the Layers Panel, you will see the markers have been created inside a new folder.
In the Map View, you will see the markers are plotted.
Create a date/time condition in a filter
- At the top of the Layers Panel, click the Filter Icon displaying the tooltip: "Add Filters".
- The "FILTERS" window will appear asking you to select a template. For this example, select: "Blank".
- On the default condition line, click the arrowhead on the right side of the first field.
- In the drop-down, select the attribute name for the date/time attributes you previously created.
For example: "Date".
- Click the arrowhead on the right side of the second field. In the drop-down, select: "IS ON".
- Click the arrowhead on the right side of the third field. In the drop-down, select: "Unique".
- Click the fourth field. In the drop-down, click to select one of the date/time values from your imported data.
For example; "2030-2-19"
View the filtered results
- At the bottom of the "FILTERS" window, click the button: "SAVE FILTERS".
- Above the overlays at the top of the Layers Panel, you will see the checkbox condition line.
For example: "Date is on 2030-2-19"
- In both the Map View and the Layers Panel, you will only see the markers matching the checkbox condition line.
Change a filter's colour