- Users who can access the map.
- Role-based permissions each user has.
Note: You improve security by enabling map access through user accounts, because you don’t need to share map passwords.
The Manage Users feature is located on the “Save Map” window in Scribble Maps.
When to use the Manage Users feature or the Team web app
The Manage Users feature is designed for quickly sharing a single map with specific users.
If you will be collaborating on multiple maps, we recommend you use the Team web app instead. To learn how, visit this link: Intro to the Team web app - Collaborate on multiple maps
To learn best practices for collaborating with your team, visit this link:
Collaboration (including merging maps)
Invite a user to access a map
Open the "Manage Users" window
- Login to your Scribble Maps account at:
https://www.scribblemaps.com/create(Optional) To learn how to login, visit this link:
How to login / register
- Open the map.
These are the possible methods:
- Click the “Menu” button in the top toolbar.
- Under the “Scribble Maps” heading, click the “Save Map” button.
The “Save Map” window will appear.
- Click on the button: “Manage Users”.
The "Manage Users" window will appear.
Add the user
- Under the “Email” heading, type-in the email address of the user you're inviting to access the map.
Note: For the permissions to work, each user must use their specified email address to login to their account.
- Under the “Role” heading, click on the drop-down list. Then select the user's role:
- An Admin can edit the map and manage users.
- The map creator is automatically considered an Admin.
- An Editor can edit the map, but cannot manage users.
- A Viewer can view the map, even if it's saved as "Secure".
- If a "Public" or "Unlisted" map is password protected, a Viewer can edit the map if he or she provides the password.
- If the map is saved as "Encrypted", a Viewer doesn't have to provide the initial password to view the map. A Viewer only has to provide the encryption password.
Note: For the user to save a map as "Unlisted", "Secure", or "Encrypted", the user must have a Pro account. See: Save a map > Select the option for how users can access the map
- Click the “Add” button.
You will see the user’s email address added to the window.Note: Depending on the type of account you have, there are limits on the number of Free account users you can add. If you have a:
- Free account, you can add 3 Free users and unlimited Pro users.
- Pro account, you can add 5 Free users and unlimited Pro users.
- (Optional) Add another user.
- Click on the checkbox displaying the message: “I’m not a robot”.
- (Optional) If prompted, perform the reCAPTCHA procedure.
- Click the button: “Save Users”.
Note: Each specified user will receive an invitation email that includes a link to the map.
- Click the button: “Back to Map Save”.
- (Optional) Save the map.
Note: After you click "Save Users" (Step #7), the permission changes are automatically saved to the map file. So you don't need to save the map. To learn how to save maps, visit this link: Save a map
(Optional) If two owners/admins give a user conflicting roles
If two owners/admins give a user conflicting roles in the Manage Users feature OR the Team web app:The user obtains the permissions of the role change that’s most recent.
If two owners/admins give a user conflicting roles in the Manage Users feature AND the Team web app:The user obtains the permissions of whichever role has more privileges.