BNG (UK) stands for British National Grid (United Kingdom). BNG is a system of geographic grid references used to locate points on the surface of Great Britain, and surrounding areas. The BNG reference system is also known as the "Ordnance Survey National Grid".
In the app, the BNG is in alphanumeric format.
Note: This external link enables conversions for BNG coordinates.For example: all-numeric, to alphanumeric.Co-ordinate Converter - Great Britain
Move and zoom the map to view Great Britain
To move the map:
- Select the Hand Tool in the top toolbar.
- In the center of the Map View, you will see the crosshair reticle.
- In the Map View, click-and-drag the map so the chosen location in Great Britain is at the reticle.When you later zoom, you will see the map zooms to/from the location at the reticle.To zoom-in/out, there are 2 options:(Option 1)
In the top-right corner of the Map View, click the:
- Zoom-in button, "+".
- Zoom-out button, "-".(Option 2)
Use the scroll wheel on your mouse.For Windows
- Scroll forwards to zoom-in.
- Scroll backwards to zoom-out.For Mac
- Scroll backwards to zoom-in.
- Scroll forwards to zoom-out.
Draw a line
- Select the Line Tool in the top toolbar.
Or you can press the "Z" button on your keyboard.
- In the Map View, click-and-drag to draw a line on the map of Great Britain.
Open and move the Settings window
- At the bottom-left corner of the Map View footer, click on the Gear Icon.
The "SETTINGS" window will pop-up.
- (Optional) If the "SETTINGS" window is blocking your view of the line you drew, click-and-drag on the border of the "SETTINGS" window.
View the info bubble when "BNG (UK)" is selected for the coordinate display format
- Under the headings, "MAP SETTINGS" > "Grid", click on the drop-down list. Then select: "BNG (UK)".
In the Map View, the grid will appear.
- Under the headings, "MAP SETTINGS" > "Coord Display", click on the drop-down list. Then select: "BNG (UK)".
- In the top-right corner of the "SETTINGS" window, click the "X" button.
- Select the Edit/Measure Tool in the top toolbar.
Or you can click on the map, then press the "Q" button on your keyboard.
- In the Map View, hover the cursor over the line's start or endpoint.
- You will see an info bubble appear displaying the coordinates. Since "BNG (UK)" is selected for the coordinate display format, the display will be:
- Lat: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- Lng: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- BNG: BNG coordinates
- Lat: 51.50735 (51°30′26″N)
- Lng: -0.12776 (0°7′40″W)
- BNG: TQ 30031 80374
More options for the coordinate display format
- WGS84 - World Geodetic System, 1984.
- DMS (DD°MM’SS”) - Degrees Minutes Seconds.
- USNG - United States National Grid.
- MGRS - Military Grid Reference System.
- BNG (UK) - British National Grid - (for Great Britain).
Note: In the center of the Map View footer, you will also see the coordinates displayed in the format you select. The reticle at the center of the Map View determines these coordinates.