BNG (UK) stands for British National Grid (United Kingdom). BNG is a system of geographic grid references used to locate points on the surface of Great Britain, and surrounding areas. The BNG reference system is also known as the "Ordnance Survey National Grid".
Move and zoom the map to view Great Britain
To move the map:
- Select the Hand Tool in the top toolbar.
- In the Map View, click and drag the map.To zoom-in/out, there are 2 options:(Option 1)
In the top-right corner of the Map View, click the:
- Zoom-in button, "+".
- Zoom-out button, "-".(Option 2)
Use the scroll wheel on your mouse.For Windows
- Scroll forwards to zoom-in.
- Scroll backwards to zoom-out.For Mac
- Scroll backwards to zoom-in.
- Scroll forwards to zoom-out..
Draw a line
- Select the Line Tool in the top toolbar.
- In the Map View, click and drag to draw a line on the map of Great Britain.
Open and move the Settings window
- At the bottom-left corner of the Map View footer, click on the Gear Icon.
The Settings window will pop-up.
- (Optional) If the Settings window is blocking your view of the line you drew, click and drag on the border of the Settings window.
View the info bubble when “BNG (UK)” is selected for the coordinate display format
- Under the headings, “Map Settings” > “Grid”, click on the drop-down list. Then select: “BNG (UK)”.
In the Map View, the grid will appear.
- Under the headings, “Map Settings” > “Coord Display”, click on the drop-down list. Then select: “BNG (UK)”.
- In the top toolbar, select the Edit/Measure Tool.
- In the Map View, hover the cursor over the line's start or endpoint.
- You will see an info bubble appear that displays the coordinates. Since “BNG (UK)” is selected for the coordinate display format, the display will be:
- Lat: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- Lng: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- BNG: BNG coordinates
- Lat: 51.50735 (51°30′26″N)
- Lng: -0.12776 (0°7′40″W)
- BNG: TQ 30031 80374
More options for the coordinate display format
- WGS84 - World Geodetic System, 1984.
- DMS (DD°MM’SS”) - Degrees Minutes Seconds.
- USNG - United States National Grid.
- MGRS - Military Grid Reference System.
- BNG (UK) - British National Grid (United Kingdom).