USNG stands for United States National Grid. USNG is a system of geographic grid references used to locate points on the surface of the United States. The USNG is based on the MGRS (Military Grid Reference System).
Draw a line
- Select the Line Tool in the top toolbar.
Quick Key: Or you can press the "Z" button on your keyboard.
- In the Map View, click-and-drag to draw a line.
Open and move the Settings window
- At the bottom-left corner of the Map View footer, click on the Gear Icon.
The "SETTINGS" window will pop-up.
- (Optional) If the "SETTINGS" window is blocking your view of the line you drew, click-and-drag on the border of the "SETTINGS" window.
View the info bubble when "Auto" is selected for the coordinate display format
- Under the headings, "MAP SETTINGS" > "Grid", click on the drop-down list. Then select: "USNG".
In the Map View, the grid will appear.
- Under the headings, "MAP SETTINGS" > "Coord Display", click on the drop-down list. Then select: "Auto".
Note: If you select "Auto", the coordinate display format will be determined by what is selected under the "Grid" heading.
- In the top-right corner of the "SETTINGS" window, click the "X" button.
- Select the Edit/Measure Tool in the top toolbar.
Quick Key: Or you can click on the map, then press the "Q" button on your keyboard.
- In the Map View, hover the cursor over the line's start or endpoint.
- You will see an info bubble appear displaying the coordinates. Since "USNG" is selected for the grid, the display for "Auto" will be:
- Lat: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- Lng: Decimal Degrees (Degrees Minutes Seconds)
- USNG: USNG coordinates
- Lat: 40.689249400 (40°41′21″N)
- Lng: -74.044500400 (74°2′40″W)
- USNG: 18T WL 80736 04701
More options for the coordinate display format
In the Settings window, click on the drop-down list under "Coord Display" again. You can select from these options:
- WGS84 - World Geodetic System, 1984.
- DMS (DD°MM’SS”) - Degrees Minutes Seconds.
- USNG - United States National Grid.
- MGRS - Military Grid Reference System.
- BNG (UK) - British National Grid - (for Great Britain).
Note: In the center of the Map View footer, you will also see the coordinates displayed in the format you select. The reticle at the center of the Map View determines these coordinates.